If you’re lucky enough to have a backyard, why not make the most of it and turn it into your own personal paradise? A deck is the perfect way to do this, and with the right design and furniture, you can create an outdoor space that’s both stylish and functional.
Here’s how to turn your backyard into a decked-out paradise from decking:
1. Choose the right location. When selecting a spot for your deck, make sure to pick a level area that gets plenty of sunlight. If you have a sloped yard, you may need to build stairs or install a ramp to access the deck.
2. Get the right materials. Pressure-treated lumber is a durable option for building a deck, but if you want a more natural look, consider using cedar or redwood. For the decking boards, you’ll also need to decide whether you want traditional wood planks or composite decking, which is made from recycled plastic and wood fibres.
3. Plan the layout. Once you know where your deck will go and what materials you’ll use, it’s time to start planning the layout. Decide how big you want the deck to be and what shape it should take. Then, sketch out the design on paper or use a deck-building program to create a digital mockup.
4. Build the frame. The next step is to build the frame for your deck using pressure-treated lumber. Custom deck builder specialists recommend that “if you’re using composite decking, you can install the boards directly onto the frame. However, if you’re using traditional wood planks, you’ll need to first attach them to the joists with screws or nails”.
5. Finish it off. Once the frame is complete, it’s time to add the finishing touches to your deck. If you want built-in benches or planters, now is the time to add them. You can also stain or paint the decking boards to give them a custom look. Finally, add some outdoor furniture and decor to make your deck feel like a true oasis.
If you’re stuck on finding the right decking design, don’t worry- we have a list of great ideas for you. Check them out below…
A Deck with a View
If you have a stunning view in your backyard, make the most of it by building a deck that overlooks it. This way, you can enjoy the view all year round – whether you’re entertaining guests or simply relaxing with a glass of wine.
The Entertainer’s Deck
If you love entertaining, then this one’s for you! Build a large deck complete with an outdoor kitchen and dining area. This way, you can host dinner parties or family gatherings in style. Plus, your guests will be impressed by your impressive cooking skills!
The Poolside Deck
Is there anything better than taking a dip in the pool on a hot summer’s day? Make the most of your pool by building a deck around it. This way, you can lounge by the pool and enjoy the sun.
The Rustic Deck
For a more rustic feel, build your deck out of timber. This will give your backyard a warm and inviting feel. Plus, it’s easy to maintain – simply sand down any rough edges and repaint or stain it every few years.
The Modern Deck
If you prefer a more modern look, then go for a sleek and stylish deck. Use dark-coloured timber or composite materials for a chic look. Add some furniture with clean lines and you’ll have a deck that looks straight out of a magazine.
The Secret Deck
If you want to create a private oasis, then build a deck that’s hidden away from the rest of the backyard. Use tall plants or screens to create a sense of privacy and seclusion. This is the perfect spot to relax with a good book or enjoy a romantic dinner for two.
The Kid-Friendly Deck
If you have young kids, then you’ll want to create a safe and fun space for them to play. Build a deck with low railings and plenty of room for them to run around. Add some toys and games and they’ll be entertained for hours.
The Eco-Friendly Deck
If you want to be kind to the environment, then build a deck that’s made from recycled materials. You can find decking boards made from recycled plastic or even used tyres! This is a great way to reduce your environmental footprint and still have a beautiful backyard.
Now that you’ve seen our list of decking ideas, it’s time for action!
With a little effort, you can transform your backyard into a decked-out paradise. By following these tips, you’ll be able to create an outdoor space that’s both stylish and functional. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your dream deck today!