Every year, thousands of people buy a gym membership, hoping that pumped up instructors will help them create their dream figure. But statistic shows that most of the new clients don’t show up at the gym after a month. Having a gym at home can be very convenient.
Imagine, you could work out at any time you have an inspiration, without the need to spend endless hours driving to the regular gym. You can create the training schedule yourself, so you don’t need to adapt to anyone (you can work on the abs both early in the morning and late at night).
If possible, try to allocate a separate room for the home gym. But since many of us live in confined spaces, this is not always possible. Do not worry. Choose a free space in your apartment or clear a few meters for your workout.
While it’s a part of your living space, it’s important to create a gym design that motivates you, and at the same time works well with the rest of your home. We have collected the tips and ideas to help you create the best home gym that will fit your needs.
- Consider investing in good flooring. The best interlocking foam mats will create many opportunities since you can use them for feet support and cushioning during the workout and even home yoga practice. If you plan to work out with dumbbells or a barbell, make sure that the flooring is soundproof. Suitable materials for this are rubber mats, cork floor, carpet on a thick base. It is not necessary to lay them on the entire surface of the floor, you can place them only where you are doing the exercises.
- Choose the gym location with the possibility to scale later. Your gym design must have enough room in case you wish to add extra equipment in the future.
- Choose equipment based on your training goals. If you have a limited budget, go for the most frequently used equipment, which you don’t plan to replace later.
- When you’re looking for the best flooring for the gym, go for the heavy-duty materials, which can hold the equipment and will not tear down under its weight. Choose the non-slippery surfaces, because safety is equally important.
- If you have enough space and budget, create a shower room. Hygiene cannot be underestimated. It’s equally important to build an air filtration system that will provide fresh air, much needed during the intensive training.
- Upgrade your gym with new accessories regularly. Once you’ve set up your gym for your regular workout, very soon you’ll want to take it to a whole new level. Start by making a list of the things you will definitely need.
- Add at least one mirror to the interior, and preferably even a few to make the space visually larger. This will help to cut the number of your lifting repetitions. You will soon notice the many benefits that it offers.
With the tips above, you can decorate your gym and keep fit even without leaving your home.
Leslie Rivera is an editor at matsandrugs.com, a resource dedicated to all the kinds of carpets, rug care suggestions and design guides. She has been a home decor writer for the last 7 years and focuses on helping people to understand how to take their homes to a completely new level.