Are you ready to embark on an exciting new journey? Teaching English abroad is a fantastic way to combine your passions, broaden your experience and get paid to do something you love. Working as an English teacher abroad can be challenging. It’s a job that requires constant adaptation, strategic planning and authentic engagement—on top of the skills you already have as a language teacher.
There are quite a few challenges associated with teaching English abroad; however, it can also be an extremely rewarding experience. Read about everything you need to know about teaching abroad as well as how you can become certified to do so in this new blog post.
How to become certified to teach abroad?
In order to become certified to teach abroad, you’ll first need to choose a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course. There are many TEFL courses out there, so make sure to do your research and choose the one that’s right for you. But one of the most recommended is TTA as shown in this TEFL Academy Review.
Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to apply to one or two jobs teaching English abroad. You should apply for several jobs because it’s important to have a back-up plan in case any of the jobs don’t work out. It’s also important to be strategic about the jobs you apply for. To do that, you’ll need to consider things like location, salary, hours, and other factors.
Why Teach Abroad?
There are many reasons why teaching English abroad can be a rewarding, fulfilling experience. Some of the most important ones include:
- Discover new cultures and make amazing friends – When you teach English abroad, you’ll have an opportunity to experience life in a new culture and meet amazing people from all over the world.
- Learn about new places and cultures – In addition to making friends from around the world, you’ll also have the chance to learn about new places and cultures.
- Pursue your passion – You can combine your love of language and education with your passion for travel and adventure.
- Enhance your teaching skills – You can take the skills you already have as a language teacher and put them to good use in a new environment.
- Earn a living while doing something you love – You can earn a living while doing something you love.
- Boost your resume – You can build a strong resume while working in different fields and industries.
- Broaden your perspective and gain new insights – You can broaden your perspective and gain new insights into the world around you.
What is Teaching English as a Foreign Language?
Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) is the practice of teaching English as a second language to people who are not native English speakers. In some cases, you may also teach English as a Second Language (ESL) to students who are English speakers but have special needs that require alternative methods of instruction.
There are many different types of TEFL jobs, including online teaching, in-person teaching, classroom teaching and more that you can read about in this online ESL course guide. You can also specialize in teaching specific age groups, such as children or teenagers, or focus on specific subjects, such as science or humanities. You can also choose to teach subjects like vocabulary, grammar or pronunciation.
What are the benefits of teaching abroad?
The benefits of teaching abroad are numerous. Some of the most important ones include:
- You can earn money and pay off debt – You can use your TEFL experience to earn a living while paying off debt.
- You can travel and explore new places – You can travel and explore new places while doing something you love.
- You can gain valuable experience – You can gain valuable experience in a new environment.
- You can build a strong resume – You can build a strong resume by working in different fields and industries.
- You can develop lifelong skills – You can develop skills like critical thinking, collaboration and confidence.
- You can broaden your perspective and gain new insights – You can broaden your perspective and gain new insights into the world around you.
- You can network and make new connections – You can network and make new connections by teaching English abroad.
- You can change lives and have a positive impact – You can change lives and have a positive impact on your students.
There are many websites that list teaching opportunities abroad. Some of the most popular ones include Indeed, Dave’s ESL Cafe, and Peace Corps.
Overall, there are many benefits associated with teaching English abroad. You can earn money, travel and explore new places, gain valuable experience and more.
Once you’ve become certified, it’s easy to find teaching opportunities abroad. Start exploring your options today and don’t miss out on this wonderful opportunity.